Thursday, July 7, 2011

Fun in the Thousand Islands

So I haven't posted in a little bit because I was sick last week and away for the long fourth of July weekend but I will make it up to you with these awesome pics I took while I was there!

This was the view from the back porch! Yup, that is Canada over there.








Our hosts took us out in their boat for some exploring of the nearby islands.
These are pictures of the beautiful Boldt Castle, situated on Heart Island! George Boldt, the proprietor of NYC's Waldorf-Astoria hotel, had the castle built as a symbol of his love for his wife. When she died 4 years after the start of this huge undertaking, he ordered all work on the castle to stop and never returned to the island.
 ...and then there was this house that appears to just be floating nearby. They must just pray every night that the water won't rise anymore..
Next stop on our boat tour was Singer Castle, also on its own island. This one was owned by Frederick Bourne, the president of the Singer Sewing Machine Co. in the late 1800s. It stayed in his family until the 1960s!

 Amazing views from inside the castle!
 And multiple suits of armour!
The castle was fashioned after a castle in Woodstock, Scotland that was portrayed in a novel by Sir Walter Scott.


This gorgeous clock tower chimes every 15 minutes.
Pink is definitely my favorite color so I was a big fan of this sunset ;)
We were all tuckered out by the time the moon made an appearance...
..But not too tired for fireworks! All in all, a fabulous weekend with fantastic people and incredible views!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Tell me! I love to hear them :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...